|Version 7 (modified by grant, 5 years ago) (diff)|
Burnstation will be a product that allows a user to select videos and burn them to a DVD or VCD format disk with the transcoding required to allow the disk to play in a standard DVD/VC machine. This will primarily be used in local regions with limited bandwidth and infrastructure as well as supporting the spread of content through disk giveaways, bundling, etc.
The initial release of the Burnstation system will be in the form of a prototype that will allow us to demonstrate that videos stored in a Plumi system can be burnt to a DVD or VCD format disk. From the lessons learned with the prototype, a final design will be prepared for the production Burnstation system. This design, a project plan for its implementation and the prototype itself will be the primary deliverables from the initial development project.
User clicks on burn it button on video view page, user goes to burn page and clicks ok, user gets a dvd iso with the selected video files, playable in any standard video DVD player
More info required here
How will the system work?
- Burnstation to be a standalone service that will consume rss2 video feeds with pointers to vob encoded files and will return dvd iso files
- set of components that can be used either in plumi or seperately
- one component is the burnstation service that gets an xml/rss2 feed and returns the URL of a dvd iso
- should be usable without any constraints on the CMS that is used in the frontend
- plone component that adds the "Burn this" action, compiles the feed and calls the burnstation service
- The input files will have to be vob to avoid having the users wait a long time for the transcoding
- We need some configuration to the transcode daemon in order to produce vob files on every video upload and to extend plumi in order to generate the above feed, and the appropriate UI to do it
- Should be 2 eggs on pypi, one of which will be a Plone product
- collective.transcode.star and transcode daemon will also be in the full burnstation suite to create the mpeg encoded video files, these should be created on upload so we don't waste time for transcoding when a user asks for an iso