Ticket #237 (closed enhancement: fixed)
Support for HTML5 video tag
|Reported by:||vik||Owned by:|
|Who will test this:||And|
Description (last modified by anna) (diff)
to replace flowplayer - with HTML5 video player by default
Modern browsers are now natively supporting the embedding of video using the <video> tag.
More info on this can be found here: http://diveintohtml5.org/video.html
VIDEO CODEC SUPPORT IN UPCOMING BROWSERS
* FIREFOX *
* SAFARI *
* CHROME *
* OPERA *
* IPHONE *
* ANDROID *
- Internet Explorer 9 will only support WebM “when the user has installed a VP8 codec,” which implies that Microsoft will not be shipping the codec themselves. SO THE USER INSTALLS A CODEC AS PER USUAL ON THE OPERATING SYSTEM - AS PER DIVX, XVID ETC.
† Safari will play anything that QuickTime? can play, but QuickTime? only comes with H.264/AAC/MP4 support pre-installed. SO THE USER WOULD HAVE TO INSTALL PERIAN, FOR EXAMPLE. SIMILAR USER-STORY TO INSTALLING XVID SUPPORT ON MAC OPERATING SYSTEM.
‡ Google has committed to supporting WebM “in a future release” of Android, but there’s no firm timeline yet.
In both cases, at least two video formats will be needed on the server: ogv and (probably) mpeg4. Probably now we want to also provide a WebM/vp8 file. Transcoding will need to create these.
Also in both cases, a fallback will be required - the easiest for users is the previous default standard for web video - Flash (which we already support with Flowplayer).
- mwembed http://www.kaltura.org/project/HTML5_Video_Player
- OSM Player http://www.mediafront.org/project/osmplayer
- Projekktor http://www.projekktor.com/
- Who will test this set to And
- Milestone changed from 3.1 to 4.0
comment:19 Changed 6 years ago by anna
- Description modified (diff)
- Milestone changed from 4.2 Beta (Features - Content Sharing Focus) to 4.3 Beta (Re-Design of EM.org & Plumi)
comment:21 Changed 5 years ago by dimo
- Milestone changed from 4.3 Beta2 (Re-Design of EM.org & Plumi) to 4.3 Beta1
comment:22 Changed 5 years ago by mike
- Status changed from new to closed
- Resolution set to ready for testing
comment:24 Changed 5 years ago by anna
- Status changed from closed to reopened
- Resolution ready for testing deleted